Sunday, February 22, 2009

Inevitable Spring!

I guess we're not going to get any more snow this year, even though I had hoped we would. I'm resolved to start thinking about my spring planting, and since we'll be moving a flower bed or two this year, I'm going to get a head start by getting out this week to work in the dirt.

I have old fashioned Four O'Clocks like the ones pictured above, growing just off my porch on the west side of the house. I collected seeds last fall, and think I'll try a few plants around the front of the house as well. I like planting things that don't need to be watered, and these little beauties have done quite well with the neglect I have given them over the past 10 years.

I'm going to be adding a variety or two of dwarf nandina, or heavenly bamboo, in the front as well. I need a little more winter color around the yard, and I've been careful to keep my eyes open around town to see what caught my attention this winter. Nandina has definately been the one plant that stood out to me, so I'm on the lookout for a few really nice varieties. I like the fact that there are little berries on the plant as well, but I don't know if the birds like them or not?


I'm starting my Purple Hyacinth Bean Vine seeds this week as well. I've not had the success I had hoped with this plant, but I'm willing to keep trying different locations because of the beauty of this vigorous vine. I saw it for the first time in Branson a few years back, and have just loved it ever since. I had previously planted mine in a container on the southwestern side of a shed, but it never thrived. I'm looking for a protected eastern spot, and I'll be sure to give it a little more attention and water than I have in the past.

The ice wasn't as bad this year as it was last winter, so I'm hoping the blueberries in the left side bed will really take off this year. We started them last year, but we've never grown them before so we really don't know much about growing this fruit, although we know well enough how to pick and eat it! My neighbors had a few limbs fall on their fence, and don't seem to be too interested in doing anything about fixing it, so I'll be moving some Pampas grass from another location in the yard to block the view of their damage.

My Golden Flame Honeysuckle is not doing as well as it did a few years back, when this photo was taken. I'm going to give it a good pruning, which I have hesitated to do because we have two families of sparrows nesting in the box and the woody tangle underneath! I love watching them collect little bits of yarn and puppy fur from the yard to line the nest.
I love the view of the horse pasture behind our house! This winter, I've even seen deer running across the pasture on two different occassions.

No comments: